In the community
Bayport Uganda’s commitment to the districts in which we operate covers a diversity of corporate social responsibility initiatives in areas such as health, education, agriculture, business, youth and sports. The following are just a few examples:
- Donations to the Mukono Multi-purpose Youth Organisation (MUMYO), an NGO aimed at promoting the rights and wellbeing of the youth and the alleviation of poverty in rural areas. The funds were used for orphans’ school fees, projects for HIV/Aids support groups and the construction of MUMYO’s orphan education centre.
- A monthly contribution to the Arua Rotary Club which runs various charity programmes for people in need.
- Donations to individuals or families in need, such as Ms Florence Akello whose triplets were born in the Angal Hospital in Nebbi District. The babies only weighed around 1.5kg each. One baby passed away, but we provided funds to Florence to assist her with her new family. In another case, we stepped in to assist a family whose only breadwinner was ten-year-old Edwin Lubega, who was also recovering from cancer. We donated funds for Edwin’s follow up visits at the Cancer Institute in Mulago, provided school fees and school supplies for Edwin and his sister Vivian Nansamba, and gave his mother start-up capital for her fish-selling business to help sustain her family.
- Donated cement to rebuild the Bubutu sub-county headquarters in the Manafwa District after it was destroyed in a fire. We also funded the completion of two rooms for the new finance department of the Sembabule District.
- Donated crutches to Butaleja Persons with Disabilities (PWD) and funded the re-roofing of the boy’s dormitory of Bbaale S.S.S in Kayunga District following rain damage.
- At the Charity Walk – Mbale Hospital, Bayport Uganda employees visited the children’s ward and donated sugar, soft drinks and soap to the patients. They also donated hospital mattresses and medicine to the Budumba Health Centre in Butaleja District.